Austrian citizenship is based upon the Austrian citizenship law of 1965 as amended.
AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH: Child born in the territory of Austria, with at least one parent being a citizen of Austria. However, a child born out of wedlock to a foreign mother and an Austrian father is not considered a citizen. Unless the couple marries, child obtains the citizenship of the mother.
AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT: Child is born abroad, one of whose parents is an Austrian citizen. In case of a non-Austrian mother and an Austrian father, marriage law listed above applies.
AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION: Austrian citizenship can be applied for upon fulfillment of one of the following conditions:
- Person has lived in Austria for at least 10 years.
- Person has taken up a position as a professor at an Austrian University.
- Person is the foreign spouse of an Austrian citizen and has resided in Austria for at least five years.
AUSTRIAN DUAL CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED.
Exception: Child of Austrian citizens who was born in a foreign country and acquired citizenship according to the other country’s laws. Also, in exceptional cases, Austrian authorities may permit an Austrian citizen who obtains a new citizenship to retain their Austrian citizenship.
LOSS OF AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP:
- VOLUNTARY: Under certain conditions, Austrian citizenship may be voluntarily renounced:
- Person possesses another citizenship.
- Person has no criminal proceedings, or criminal penalties of more than six months,
pending against them in Austria.
- Person, if male, has fulfilled required military service.
- INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for loss of citizenship:
- Person acquires citizenship of a foreign country.
- Person performs voluntary military service for a foreign country.
- Person has employment with a foreign government that is damaging to Austrian interests.
Austrian citizenship information is summarized from the above-mentioned law. Any action concerning Austrian citizenship should be taken after consulting with an immigration lawyer or the official authority responsible with Austrian citizenship.