Austrian citizenship is based upon the Austrian citizenship law of 1965 as amended.

AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH: Child born in the territory of Austria, with at least one parent being a citizen of Austria. However, a child born out of wedlock to a foreign mother and an Austrian father is not considered a citizen. Unless the couple marries, child obtains the citizenship of the mother.

AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT: Child is born abroad, one of whose parents is an Austrian citizen. In case of a non-Austrian mother and an Austrian father, marriage law listed above applies.

AUSTRIAN CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION: Austrian citizenship can be applied for upon fulfillment of one of the following conditions:
- Person has lived in Austria for at least 10 years.
- Person has taken up a position as a professor at an Austrian University.
- Person is the foreign spouse of an Austrian citizen and has resided in Austria for at least five years.

Exception: Child of Austrian citizens who was born in a foreign country and acquired citizenship according to the other country’s laws. Also, in exceptional cases, Austrian authorities may permit an Austrian citizen who obtains a new citizenship to retain their Austrian citizenship.

- VOLUNTARY: Under certain conditions, Austrian citizenship may be voluntarily renounced:
- Person possesses another citizenship.
- Person has no criminal proceedings, or criminal penalties of more than six months,
pending against them in Austria.
- Person, if male, has fulfilled required military service.
- INVOLUNTARY: The following are grounds for loss of citizenship:
- Person acquires citizenship of a foreign country.
- Person performs voluntary military service for a foreign country.
- Person has employment with a foreign government that is damaging to Austrian interests.

Austrian citizenship information is summarized from the above-mentioned law. Any action concerning Austrian citizenship should be taken after consulting with an immigration lawyer or the official authority responsible with Austrian citizenship.


  1. My father was born in Austria. His parents immigrated to the USA when he was 4 years old. He is now a US citizen. In the next year, I will be moving to Austria to live. Is it possible for me to receive dual citizenship from Austria because my father was an Austrian citizen?

  2. i m got austrian citizenship 4 years ago but my kids r pakistani nationals. now i m working in ireland and they r living with me.our main residence is in austria.
    Are they elegible for austrian citizenship? how can i apply for them? and what are the documents required for this process?

  3. I am a CAnadian born person that wants to work abroad in Europe. Both my parents where from Austria but came to CAnada before I was born, and I believe they were both Canadian Citizens ( both deceased). Could I take out a dual citizenship? Do I qualify for an Austrian Citizenship?

  4. I have a son with an Austrian citizen we live together does he has any possibility to have Austrian citizenship? nd if yes what are requirement he is now 3years old

  5. Hello. I already have dual citizenship, being born in America and having an Austrian-born father. But my question is, how long do I keep my dual citizenship for?

  6. Form N-400 is the application for obtaining US Citizenship (naturalization). The Form N-400 is used by Lawful Permanent Residents (green card holders) over the age of 18 who meet the eligibility requirements to apply for Citizenship. A completed Form N400 (Citizenship Application) has to be filed along with photos and supporting documents. A green card holder who is above 18 years of age and meets other eligibility requirements can file N400 form. Becoming a U.S. citizen has many advantages including the right to vote and the ability to sponsor relatives to come to the United States.

  7. I am 21 years old, my mum is an Austrian citizen, I was born in Ghana but live in England, can my mum apply for Austrian citizenship for me

  8. I am 21, my mum is an Austrian citizen, I was born in Ghana but now lives in England, can I apply for Austrian citizenship myself

  9. I was born in Graz and emigrated to the US with my parents when I was three years old. I obtained US citizenship through the naturalization process when I was 10. My question is whether I have dual US/Austrian citizenship. I have my Austrian birth certificate.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Post Navigation