British citizenship is regulated by the British Nationality Act of 1984.
- British Dependent Territories Citizens
- British Overseas Citizens
- British Subjects
- British Protected Persons
- Commonwealth Citizens
- Citizens of the
After January 1, 1983, the following qualify for British citizenship:
BRITISH CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH:
- Child born in the United Kingdom, at least one of whose parents is a British citizen or has settled in the United Kingdom.
- Child born in the
BRITISH CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT:
- Child born overseas to a British citizen if at least one of his parents is a British citizen other than by descent.
- Child born overseas to a British citizen in service to the Crown.
- Child born outside of the
- Child adopted by Order of the Court of the
- Person registered by the Secretary of State as a British citizen. (Often used for children born abroad to British citizens.)
BRITISH CITIZENSHIP SPECIAL CATEGORIES:
Persons falling into these categories may be registered as British citizens if they have lived in the
BRITISH CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION:
British citizenship may be granted upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
- Person has been a resident of the
- Persons married to British citizens are required to reside in the
- Person is of good character and has sufficient knowledge of English, Welsh, or Scottish Gaelic.
- Person intends on remaining in the
DUAL BRITISH CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED.
LOSS OF BRITISH CITIZENSHIP:
Unless it is required for other reasons, British citizens need not renounce their citizenship upon obtaining a foreign citizenship. Those who have voluntarily renounced British citizenship are entitled to reacquire it once. Otherwise, the resumption of British citizenship is at the discretion of the Secretary of State.
VOLUNTARY: A completed application for renunciation, together with documentary evidence of citizenship, plus fee, should be submitted to the British Embassy. Application will be sent to
British citizenship information is summarized from the above-mentioned law. Any action concerning British citizenship should be taken after consulting with a British immigration lawyer or the official authority responsible with British citizenship.