Cypriot Citizenship is based upon the Republic Law of 1967. The legal basis for citizenship is divided between those born before and those born after August 16, 1960, the date of independence. All questions regarding Turkish Cyprus should be directed to the Cypriot Embassy. (UKC-Commonwealth Nation)
CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH:
All citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies who were born in Cyprus between November 5, 1914, and August 16, 1960, and who were resident in Cyprus during the five years preceding independence (August 16, 1960).
CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT:
Person born in wedlock, after August 16, 1960, whose father is a citizen of
DUAL CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP: RECOGNIZED.
LOSS OF CYPRIOT CITIZENSHIP CITIZENSHIP:
- VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of Cypriot citizenship is permitted by law. Contact the Embassy for details and required paperwork. The following are not allowed to renounce citizenship:
- Persons who have not fulfilled their military requirements.
- Persons who are under sentence for criminal activities.
- INVOLUNTARY: The following reflect grounds for involuntary loss of naturalized Cypriot citizenship:
- Citizenship was gained under fraud or false statements.
- Person commits acts of disloyalty to the government of
- Person, within five years of being naturalized, begins to live continually abroad without registering with the Cypriot Consul.
[TURKISH CYPRIOT: According to the Cypriot Consul: “An exceptional situation was created in the part of the territory of the
Cypriot citizenship information is summarized from the above-mentioned law. Any action concerning Cypriot citizenship should be taken after consulting with a Cypriot immigration lawyer or the official authority responsible with Cypriot citizenship.