Norwegian citizenship is defined by the Norwegian Nationality Act of December 8, 1950.
NORWEGIAN CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH:
Birth within the
NORWEGIAN CITIZENSHIP BY DESCENT:
- Child born in wedlock acquires Norwegian nationality if the father or mother is a Norwegian national.
- Child born out of wedlock acquires Norwegian nationality if the mother is a Norwegian national.
NORWEGIAN CITIZENSHIP BY NATURALIZATION:
Norwegian citizenship may be granted upon fulfillment of the following conditions:
- Person is at least 18 years of age.
- Person has resided in
- Does not owe more than NOK 20,000 in connection with child maintenance payments.
- Residence time limit for individuals married to a Norwegian national is computed thus: Take the period of time the individual has been married and add the period of time of residence in
- Nordic nationals (from
nationality after living in
- Children are included in a parent’s application; adopted children are included, provided the adoption can be approved in
DUAL NORWEGIAN CITIZENSHIP: NOT RECOGNIZED.
Exceptions: The Norwegian Nationality Act permits an individual to be a national of more than one country in the following cases:
- If the individual acquired dual nationality at birth from their parents.
- If the individual was born of Norwegian parents in a country where a second nationality is based on birth in the country.
- If an individual is granted Norwegian nationality in accordance with the provision relating to “Notification through the
LOSS OF NORWEGIAN CITIZENSHIP:
VOLUNTARY: Voluntary renunciation of citizenship is granted under the condition that a new citizenship has been granted or soon will be granted. Letters of renunciation may be sent to nearest Norwegian Embassy.
INVOLUNTARY: The following is grounds for involuntary loss of Norwegian citizenship:Person voluntarily obtains foreign citizenship.
Norwegian citizenship information is summarized from the above-mentioned law. Any action concerning Norwegian citizenship should be taken after consulting with a Norwegian immigration lawyer or the official authority responsible with Norwegian citizenship.